I’M INTERESTED IN BECOMING A BOARD MEMBER. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Firstly, read all the information on this page. Here you will find all the information you need to know about becoming a Board Member (please read it thoroughly!). Then when you are ready, head over to our Get Involved page and fill out the nomination form at the bottom of the page.
In the meantime, talk to some of the Board Members at an event, or shoot them an email. They’ll be happy to tell you what is involved and how the process works.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A BOARD MEMBER?
HYP is an incorporated non-profit organisation. The board members are a group of members elected each year to run and maintain the organisation and grow it in line with the aims of the members.
WHAT’S THE DEAL WITH BEING ON THE BOARD?
Everything you see HYP do is through the hard work of a Board of Directors who volunteer their time because they are passionate about the cause. Also, these roles are fun, expand your network base, allow you to practice your public speaking, build your personal brand and help you develop great leadership skills. But they aren’t positions to be taken lightly!
There is a level of commitment you must bring to continue to make HYP the success it has come to be. It’s a very exciting time for everyone involved. The initiatives we have successfully executed in the past few years demonstrate our enthusiasm through constant evolution and we have even bigger plans ahead!
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT DIRECTOR POSITIONS ON THE BOARD?
There are 12 Board Members elected, known as ‘Directors’. The four executive positions consist of President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. There other eight positions are non-executive Directors. Generally it is recommended that people participate as non-executive Directors for a year before they take on the additional responsibilities and leadership required of the executive positions, however there is no rule against someone running for those positions in their first year.
BOARD NOMINATION – RULES AND PROCESSES IN A NUTSHELL
It is expected that members have been actively involved in HYP events before running for a board position. It is also recommended members participate as non-executive Directors for a year before nominating to take on the additional responsibilities and leadership required of the executive positions, however this is not a mandatory requirement.
After we receive all nomination forms at the end of the calendar year, the details of nominating members will be posted on our website. We send an email directing members to this page once it is set up. This will give voting members details of those up for nomination, and which positions they wish to be nominated for.
If a position is not challenged (i.e. not more than one person going for each position) then the position is automatically awarded to that nominee.
If the position is challenged, you as a voting member are encouraged to attend the AGM to vote for those you wish to occupy each of the roles that are challenged. You will not be able to vote unless you attend the AGM.
HOW DO I NOMINATE TO BE ON THE BOARD?
Only members may be nominated for a Board position. If you wish to be on the Board in 2018 head on over to our Get Involved page and fill out the application form at the bottom.
ARE BOARD MEMBERS REMUNERATED FOR THEIR WORK?
No, these positions are entirely voluntary so the Directors do not get paid for their work.
WHAT IS A DIRECTOR?
A Director is someone who is legally appointed as a person responsible for an organisation.
WHAT DO THE DIRECTORS DO?
The directors have a wide range of responsibilities. Some responsibilities are met by all Directors, and others are for specific people. These responsibilities are often split up depending on each person’s skills or passions (e.g. event planning, marketing, sponsorship etc) or based on their position (Treasurer, President etc).
Some of the responsibilities include:
- Attending monthly board meetings
- Event planning: booking venues, negotiating prices, arranging catering, promotions and advertising, sourcing topics and presenters etc.
- Maintaining the organisation: checking mail, maintaining records such as meeting minutes, financials, maintaining statutory requirements.
- Strategic planning: working to improve HYP and achieve more for members including implementing new initiatives, different types or ways of running and improving events.
- Organisation promotion: sourcing sponsorship and maintaining relationships, finding new members, liaising with the Newcastle business community, increasing awareness of the organisation.
- Online presence: maintaining our website, arranging our e-mailouts, updating our ticketing websites, maintaining and improving our social media pages including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
WHAT SKILLS ARE VALUED AS A DIRECTOR?
Whilst there are some basic skills required by all Directors, our Board works best when we have people with a wide range of specialised skills (e.g. finance, event planning, marketing, strategic vision etc). This allows us to delegate responsibilities based on expertise and ensure the organisation runs smoothly. Some of the desired skills include;
- Good personal organisation and time management
- Interpersonal skills to work as a team and network
- Leadership skills
- Public speaking, written and oral communications skills
- Accounting and budgeting skills
- Marketing, promotions and graphic design skills
- Event planning and management
- IT skills
- Legal skills