On Tuesday 24 September hyp members gathered on the balcony of the newly refurbished office space at Sparke Helmore before the Board Ready Masterclass, where we were spoilt with a stunning sunset as we looked out over the Newcastle Harbour.
After drinks, canapes and some networking amongst friends, we headed in for an introductory presentation about corporate governance from Alan McKelvey, Partner of Sparke Helmore and Director of Newcastle Golf Club. Alan made reference to the ASX 8 Principles of Corporate Governance, which are:
- Lay solid foundations for management oversight.
- Structure the board to be effective and add value.
- Instil a culture of acting lawfully, ethically and responsibly.
- Protect the integrity of reporting.
- Make timely and balanced disclosure.
- Respect the rights of interest holders.
- Recognise and manage risk.
- Remunerate fairly and responsibly.
He also shared information about director duties and his own personal insights for how to gain board experience, before we opened up the questions to our experienced panel of company directors.
Kyle Loades FAICD, Samantha-Martin Williams FAICD and Claire Braund, who collectively provide decades of insight and expertise behind the scenes of board rooms for leading organisations across the nation, joined Alan on the panel and offered a refreshing and diverse perspective of their individual experiences and journeys to board room success.
The event was sponsored by Sparke Helmore. Photos by KMackay Photography.